Martlet House

architecture

This elegant stone replica of a 16th-century Scottish baronial castle, in the heart of downtown, was the long-time Canadian headquarters of the Seagram Company.

Redpath Hall

architecture

The building was bestowed upon McGill in 1893 due to the beneficence of Peter Redpath, owner of Redpath Sugar and one of Montreal’s leading citizens at that time, and his wife Grace Wood.

Strathcona Anatomy and Dentistry Building

architecture

Built in 1909 following a fire that gutted the Old Medical Building, this building was designed to mirror the main entrance and wings of the Royal Victoria Hospital. Its features include an ornate reading room and a stained-glass window commemorating members of the Medical Faculty who fought or died in World War I.

Royal Victoria College

architecture

The Royal Victoria College, McGill’s college for women, was named in honour of Queen Victoria, one of the most prominent female figures of her time. Its first, and central, wing was built by the American architect Bruce Price in 1899.

Charles Meredith House

architecture

Charles Meredith House (1130 Pine West) Built in 1907 by the well-known Canadian architects Edward and William Maxwell, this Georgian style residence was occupied by Mr. Meredith and his family until 1937. Originally given to the Royal Victoria Hospital to serve as a nurses’ residence, the house was donated to McGill in 1975.  

Hosmer House

architecture

The 1901 Hosmer House is home to the Faculty of Medicine’s School of Physical and Occupational Therapy, which offers undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. The house, made of conspicuous orange sandstone, shows the influence of the Paris Beaux Arts and has an ornate facade in a distinctly French style. 

Macdonald Engineering Building

architecture

Rebuilt after a fire in 1907, the Macdonald Engineering Building is home to the Department of Civil Engineering and the Department of Mechanical Engineering.

Strathcona Music Building

architecture

In 1971, the Hurlbatt and Reynolds Wings of Royal Victoria College were given to Faculty of Music. Renamed the Strathcona Music Building, it is now home to the Schulich School of Music.