Science alumni share their experiences with students at special career day
A special Science Career Day, held at the Lev Bukhman, University Center, attracted science students from a range of disciplines who wanted to hear from alumni about career options in non-research roles. The event, organized by SUS and CaPS, featured presentations from science alumni now working in various industries.
Lead Speaker Loretta Del Bosco (Director – Regulatory Affairs / Product Safety / Quality Assurance / Operations, AbbVie Corporation) opened the event with a special presentation on Pharma Careers 101. She covered all possible careers within the pharma industry, outside of research.
Following Loretta’s presentation, a range of speakers shared their career stories. Speakers included:
- Sophie-Dorothee Clas, a pharmaceutical consultant with more than 25 years of leadership in industrial and academic research, with a strong patent and publication record.
- Silvie Hassan, a biochemist with sales, sales management, marketing, product management and entrepreneurial background.
- Dannis Fafard, a marketing professional who claims he has with no knack whatsoever for science, and is not sure what happened!
- Ingrid Blauer, a financial securities analyst with over 20 years of experience in financial modelling, portfolio analysis, and risk management, currently involved in real estate development and financing.
- Tyler Hunt, a sales, operation and supply manager with seven years of experience in road and aviation fuel supply and logistics.
- Stephen Wiencke, Managing Director of Financial Products, BMO Capital Markets, a professional with 24 years of capital markets experience.
- Paul Donnini , an independent business consultant who has pursued management positions with customer contact in technical fields and spent numerous years in the vital water industry.
Following the presentation, students and speakers mingled at a “meet and greet” event in the Madelaine Parent room.