Chancellor Day Hall

architecture

Chancellor Day Hall (3644 Peel Street) In 1892, James Ross, an entrepreneur of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, commissioned renowned architect Bruce Price, who also designed McGill’s Royal Victoria College and the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, to build a house for him on Peel Street on the Square Mile. The house, with its two circular turrets and larger central […]

Davis House

architecture

Originally the residence of entrepreneur James T. Davis, this mansion has many interesting features, including a dining room that is a replica of a room in the Vatican, an Italian Renaissance style library, and its own chapel on the second floor.

Redpath Hall

architecture

The five lancets in the west above the balcony represent Law, History, Philosophy, Astronomy and Medicine. Strange creatures and gargoyles adorn the roof at the ends of the beams. The outer walls, built of Montreal limestone in fitting with the rest of the campus, have the symbols of the Four Evangelists carved onto them to remind students of the highest possible wisdom.

The Allan Memorial Institute

architecture

In 1863, Sir Hugh Allan, the Scottish founder and president of the Allan Lines Shipping Company, commissioned Victor Roy and John Hopkins to construct a house that reflected his wealth and power. This Italianate, villa-style mansion was named Ravenscrag after a Scottish castle and was located at the top of McTavish Street with an imposing view over the entire city.

Strathcona Music Building

architecture

In 1971, the Hurlbatt and Reynolds Wings of Royal Victoria College were given to Faculty of Music. Renamed the Strathcona Music Building, it is now home to the Schulich School of Music and to Pollack Hall, one of the busiest cultural venues in the city.

Morrice Hall

architecture

Originally the home of the Presbyterian College of Montreal, this Gothic style building was donated to the University in 1961, and renamed after David Morrice, who financed part of its original construction.

James Administration Building

architecture

Built in 1922, the James Administration Building was originally home to the Department of Biology. Although the Department moved out many years ago, a stone frog above the front door is a reminder of its past.

Peterson Hall

architecture

Built in 1933, to house the Protestant School Board, this building’s exterior features many carvings and inscriptions related to education. Purchased by McGill in 1960, it was renamed after Sir William Peterson, principal of the University from 1895 to 1919.

Lyman Duff Medical Building

architecture

The Lyman Duff Medical Building was built in the 1920’s, with a new wing added in the 1960’s to provide much-needed additional space for the now-defunct Pathological Institute. Today, the building houses modern labs and facilities for several departments, including the Sheldon Biotechnology Centre located in its Gatehouse.

Pulp and Paper Building

architecture

Built in 1927 by Percy Nobbs, Professor of Design at the School of Architecture at the time, this sturdy, three-storey stone structure is located on University Street just north of the Otto Maass Chemistry.