It is with great pleasure that we announce the appointment of Dr. Gustavo Turecki as Chair of the Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine, McGill University, effective March 1, 2015. Dr. Turecki succeeds Dr. Mimi Israël, who led the department with great distinction since 2007. We take this opportunity to offer our sincere thanks to Dr. Israël for her outstanding leadership throughout her term, and we wish her continued success.
Dr. Turecki is Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at McGill, where he currently is Associate Chair of Research and Academic Affairs. He has been an Attending Psychiatrist at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute since 1999, and he is also Director of the McGill Group for Suicide Studies, as well as head of its Depressive Disorders Program and Co-Director of the Douglas Bell-Canada Brain Bank. In addition, he is the Director of the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS) funded provincial network on suicide and mood disorders.
Dr. Turecki studied at Escola Paulista de Medicina in Brazil, earning an MD, as well as a Masters of Science in Psychiatric Epidemiology/Genetics. He completed his Psychiatry residency at São Paulo General Hospital in Brazil, and he obtained a PhD in Neuroscience (Genetics) at McGill. He is a Fellow of several scientific and professional organizations, has served as President of the International Academy of Suicide Research, and currently sits on Council for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) and the International College of Neuropsychopharmacology.
[1920-2014] Dr. F. Clarke Fraser
Regretfully, I must inform the Department of the death yesterday of F Clarke Fraser at the age of 94.
One of the founders of medical genetics, Clarke was both a PhD (1945) and MDCM (1950) graduate of McGill University. Together with Charles Scriver, he was one of the pillars of the ‘golden age’ of genetics at the MCH. His achievements in his chosen field are legendary and were recognized several years ago by both the awarding of a Honorary Doctorate from McGill and induction into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame.
For those who had the privilege of knowing Clarke and working with him, his intelligence, kindness and passion for both science and its application to the clinical situation was always readily apparent. He always radiated class and distinction and delivered his wisdom wrapped in a sly humor that was accompanied by a twinkle in his eye. He demonstrated an enormous intimacy and dexterity with language. Learning with him was Socratic and also always osmotic. He launched many of us in the direction of first chromosomes and then genes and now the epigenome.
He will be missed. He will be remembered.
Please join me in extending our condolences to his family and friends.
Michael Shevell, MD CM, FRCPC, FAAN, FANA, FCAHS
Chairman, Department of Pediatrics
Professor (with Tenure)
Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology/Neurosurgery
Read More Posts From This Section »
- Stanford – Stanford Medical Biochemical Genetics Fellowship Program
- McGill – South America Business Forum – Deadline: May 3, 2015
- McGill – Faculty of Medicine – International Graduate Travel Program – Deadline: April 3, 2015
- McGill – Research Assistant Position Available – Deadline: February 15, 2015
- McGill – Mackenzie King Scholarship – Deadline: February 2, 2015
- UQAC – Post doctoral position or PhD position available.
- McGill – Post doctoral position in Disease Epigenomics and Epidemiology – Position from Spring 2015
- McGill – Cole Foundation Fellowships 2015 – 2017 – Deadline: January 30, 2015
- Scholarships for Graduate Study in London, England – London Goodenough Association of Canada (LGAC) -Deadline: January 26, 2015
- The Department of International Relations and Francophone and the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Science (MRIF) have launched scholorship for Quebec students to pursue studies and research in Bavaria – MHESR website – Deadline: January 26, 2015
- London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care, London, Ontario – Clinical Cytogeneticist / Molecular Geneticist – Deadline: Until filled