Regretfully, I must inform the Department of the death yesterday of F Clarke Fraser at the age of 94.
One of the founders of medical genetics, Clarke was both a PhD (1945) and MDCM (1950) graduate of McGill University. Together with Charles Scriver, he was one of the pillars of the ‘golden age’ of genetics at the MCH. His achievements in his chosen field are legendary and were recognized several years ago by both the awarding of a Honorary Doctorate from McGill and induction into the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame.
For those who had the privilege of knowing Clarke and working with him, his intelligence, kindness and passion for both science and its application to the clinical situation was always readily apparent. He always radiated class and distinction and delivered his wisdom wrapped in a sly humor that was accompanied by a twinkle in his eye. He demonstrated an enormous intimacy and dexterity with language. Learning with him was Socratic and also always osmotic. He launched many of us in the direction of first chromosomes and then genes and now the epigenome.
He will be missed. He will be remembered.
Please join me in extending our condolences to his family and friends.
Michael Shevell, MD CM, FRCPC, FAAN, FANA, FCAHS
Chairman, Department of Pediatrics
Professor (with Tenure)
Departments of Pediatrics and Neurology/Neurosurgery
Dr. William Foulkes Inducted as CAHS Fellow
The Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS) recently elected Dr. William Foukles as a Fellow. It is one the highest honours that is presented in the Canadian health sciences community. The Department of Human Genetics at McGill congratulates Dr. Foulkes on receiving this prestigious honour.
Dr. Foulkes a Professor in the Departments of Oncology, Medicine and Human Genetics at McGill, and Director of McGill’s Program in Cancer Genetics, has made seminal contributions to cancer genetics in Canada.
As a clinician, he has offered counselling and advice to thousands of individuals at increased risk for cancer. In the laboratory, he has identified the cause of some forms of cancer and has studied their clinical-pathological correlates.
His work has been highly cited and its excellence has been recognized both nationally and internationally.
Read More Posts From This Section »
- UQAC – Post doctoral position or PhD position available.
- McGill – Post doctoral position in Disease Epigenomics and Epidemiology – Position from Spring 2015
- McGill – Cole Foundation Fellowships 2015 – 2017 – Deadline: January 30, 2015
- Scholarships for Graduate Study in London, England – London Goodenough Association of Canada (LGAC) -Deadline: January 26, 2015
- The Department of International Relations and Francophone and the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Science (MRIF) have launched scholorship for Quebec students to pursue studies and research in Bavaria – MHESR website – Deadline: January 26, 2015
- London Health Sciences Centre and St. Joseph’s Health Care, London, Ontario – Clinical Cytogeneticist / Molecular Geneticist – Deadline: Until filled