Geography has no bearing on McGill’s admission policies

Fall 2012


Information published in the Spring 2012 Dean’s Report may have led some of our readers to conclude that admission to McGill is governed, in part, by geographic considerations. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Student applicants are accepted solely on the basis of academic merit, regardless of where they live. Any student can enter McGill if she or he meets the requirements set by their Faculty, department or program.

The student body at present is comprised of men and women from approximately 150 countries and all 13 Canadian provinces and territories. Our student population is the most internationally diverse of any research-intensive university in Canada. The enrolment breakdown is as follows:

  • The total number of students is 37,835;
  • Domestic students account for 80 per cent of the population and international students comprise the remaining 20 per cent;
  • Students from Quebec account for 68 per cent of the Canadian contingent and students from elsewhere in Canada total 32 per cent.

The Dean’s Report regrets any confusion that may have been caused.

Comments are closed.